Santa María de Vilalba parish church
The district of Villalba is renowned for the influence of religious architecture spanning different periods, which has left an array of features on the buildings scattered around the vicinity.
From Vilalba to Codesido
The tour begins in the capital of the municipality, where the Santa Maria parish church can be found in the square bearing the same name. The current building has replaced the old romanesque temple. Built in the second half of the XIX century, its reconstruction was undertaken by Manuel Mato Vizoso based on how he remembered it as a child.
Heading south, following the road to Lugo and crossing the Fabilos river, the parish church Noche can be reached, dedicated to San Martín. This temple, of modern architecture, houses a silver crucifix dating back to the end of the XVII century.
San Cosme de Nete parish church
To the west lies the neighbouring parish Oleiros, where the parish temple of the cult of Saint Mamed can be found. The church dates back to the XVII century and inside is a baroque altarpiece and several neoclassical features.
Nete, adjacent to the south, is a parish boasting a church dedicated to San Cosme. The temple dates back to the XVII century, with a ground plan in the shape of a Latin cross and a bell tower with two openings, which can be reached by a spiral staircase.
In the neighbouring parish Ladra, the parish church San Salvador houses Solomonic and neoclassical altarpieces. Located a bit further west, in the parish of A Torre, is the chapel of San Nicolás, close to the large country house which gave it its name. The chapel was founded on a rock measuring four metres, so access to it is by steps.
Heading northwest is the church of San Martín, in the parish of Belesar. The temple, originating in 1608, houses an altarpiece from the XIX century.
Codesido parish church
In the neighbouring parish of Boizán the parish church, which was built in the XVI century with some later reforms, is also worth visiting, particularly for the geometrical design of the beams in the roof, the covered portico on the south side of the nave, and its bell tower with two openings at the front.
On the Momán road, taking the Belesar road in Portocelo, you reach Distriz, where the parish church of San Martín can be found. The temple houses a processional crucifix, a chalice from the XVII century and XVII century carvings. Its vestibule dates back to 1889 although it was reformed in 1923.
Codesido can be reached following the same Momán road. It has a parish temple and a cemetery besides it with some outstandingly unique inscriptions.
From Goiriz to San Lourenzo de Árbol
The tour begins in the parish of Goiriz, arriving from Vilalba via the road to Mondoñedo. Here you can visit the parish church and its cemetery, the first of its kind in the rural baroque style, a characteristic feature of the region. The latter dates back to the beginning of the XX century. The skilled craftsmanship of the masons of Román is evident, craftsmen who knew how to link the baroque traditions of the small columns with neo-gothic features in their stonework.
The chapel of San Andrés, which can be found heading northeast towards Lanzós, is very famous locally for the devotion of the parishioners to the saint, who they pray to for their departed loved ones.
San Simon church
Further north, on the land of the parish of Vilapedre, the parish church of San Mamed was built in the XVI century and houses altarpieces from the XVI and XVII centuries.
The neighbouring parish of San Simón is the location of a temple considered to be “the cathedral of Terra Chá” because of its large dimensions. The church was built in Valado between 1802 and 1804 to replace an old sanctuary that existed on the same site.
The downhill route takes you to Samarugo, a parish which boasts a church built during different periods: the nave dates back to the XVII century, its extension took place during the XVI century and the main facade was built in the XVIII century. Inside the tomb of the lord of Samarugo, Antonio Pardo Osorio, who was buried in 1601 can be found as well as a large altarpiece from the modernist period, originally from Mondoñedo cathedral.
To the south lies Corvelle. Its parish church is dedicated to San Bartolomé. The temple shares many architectural features with Santa María de Vilalba, with rich extensive land and a good parsonage.
Santa María de Carballido parish church
Our last stop to finish the tour of religious buildings in and around Vilalba is the parish temple San Lorenzo de Árbol, built in Espiñarido in the XVIII century. At its portico the cemetery is particularly worth visiting because of its neo-gothic granite mausoleums, typical of Terra Chá.
Tourist Information Office - email@example.com
Domingo Goás St. - Vilalba (Lugo 27800)
Tel.: +34 982 511 383