What Vilalba is most renowned for, apart from capon chicken, is the Andrade Tower, currently a parador hotel and since the XV century it has been a perennial witness to the evolution of the town. The current parador is the remains of the castle which was built on a fortress at the beginning of the XIV century during the reign of Fernando IV of Castile (1285-1312).
Destroyed during the first Irmandiña revolt in 1341, it was rebuilt and demolished in the second Irmandiña revolt (1467-1469). It rose from the ashes again XV century as the tower which we see today. It is unique because of its octagonal shape, as this construction is a departure from models that have existed both in Galicia and the rest of Northern Spain.
Another outstanding example of civic architecture is the Casa de la Cultura, built in 1842 as a local government building and the Carlista party´s prison.
The “pazos” (country houses)
Pazo of Meire
The stately history of the municipality of Vilalba can be seen in the pazos (country houses) dotted over the different parishes of the region, the majority of which are currently privately owned buildings which may not be visited
The pazo of Penas-Corveiras is located to the south of the capital in the parish of Sancovade, and is the old residence of the count of Pallares; the pazo of Arán, in Ladra, has a church from the XIX century; the pazo of Meire in Belesar is now used for breeding Spanish horses; and the pazo of Vilamartín, in Rioaveso, was built by the Sanjurjo-Montenegro family and stands within walled grounds presided over by the coat of arms.
Pazo of Samarugo
The Escuelas Habaneras (Habana Schools) are another example of civil architecture in the region of Vilalba, and the one in the parish of Lanzós is particularly worth visiting. This building was founded by the society known as “The Progress of Lanzós” and was built at the beginning of the XX century as an initiative of the parishioners who had emigrated to Cuba.
As Vilalba is an area of rivers, there are plenty of bridges, and the ones in Martiñán and Saá are of special interest. The former is an example of civil engineering from the XVII century and crosses the Batán river. The walkway is lined with a granite wall made of stone blocks in keeping with the tradition of the old masons of the area. The latter crosses the river Labrada and was recently restored respecting its original medieval layout. The structure has two arches and a dozen drains which are a testimony to the intense rainfall in the area in winter.
Tourist Information Office - email@example.com
Domingo Goás St. - Vilalba (Lugo 27800)
Tel.: +34 982 511 383